Skip to Content

What Happens if Police Don’t Arrive After a Crash?

Young man leaning against car after crash talking on the phone with other driver in the background

Whether you’re involved in a fender bender or a serious wreck, most attorneys will advise that you contact the police after a crash and file an official report. But that raises an important question: what happens if you call for the police after a crash, but help never arrives?

At the Scene

While waiting for the police, follow the steps you’d normally take after a car crash. Start by exchanging insurance information with the other driver. You may want to verify the other driver’s information by asking them to text you at the scene. This will ensure the insurance company has a means of contacting them if they need more information.

You should also speak to nearby witnesses, either pedestrians or other drivers who pulled over. Ask if they’d be willing to provide a statement. These unbiased statements can be invaluable in determining fault as each witness see the scene from a different angle. If the police don’t arrive on the scene, ask witnesses for their email or phone number, which you can forward to your attorney.

Knowing Your Options

You can still file a report, even if the police don’t arrive on the scene. To get a report, make sure you either call the nearest police station or go to the station and file a report directly. As always, the police report creates an invaluable paper trail documenting the extent of the crash, where it occurred, and who was involved.

Failure to Report

In Pennsylvania, you are required to report the crash if anyone was seriously injured or if there was significant property damage. A report is not necessary if there were no personal injuries, no property damages, less than $500 in vehicle damages, and both vehicles can drive away from the scene.

If you suffered severe injuries through no fault of your own, we can help. If you’d like to schedule a free case consultation with an experienced Luzerne County car accident attorney from Slusser Law Firm, please don’t hesitate to give us a call at (570) 405-9953 or send us an email.